This page is about cheap domain names in the United Kingdom. The information on this page is your very best defence against bad domain name providers.
The Risk Of Registering Domain Names
Some people think that registering a cheap domain name in the United Kingdom is a very simple affair without risk. I disagree and think it's an important first step into the online world, with certain risks involved. As with web hosting companies there are bad and good (UK) registrars. Having full DNS and Whois Control over your domain name is an important matter. If your personal or business address changes, you should be able to modify your own information in an online account. Registrars should never be allowed to act as if they are the owners of your web address. If you have to change your DNS servers, you should never need your registrar's permission to do so. And then I don't even talk about the risk of disputes related to your domains. For example, what is the appropriate action if someone tries to steal one of your web addresses? So, in any possible situation, you should be in full control over your domains.
You Should Have Full Control Over:
1) Your Whois information. 2) Your DNS creation. Examples are: dns3/ns3.my-site.com/dns5/ns5.my-site.com/ etc. 3) Your Custom Records. Examples are: A, AAAA, MX, TXT Records, SRV, CNAME, NS. 4) Your URL Locking & EPP Key. 5) Your Parked Domains. 6) Registrar Changes and, last but not least: 7) Your Status Alerts.
How To Choose A Domain Name Provider
Many select their registrar based on popularity. However, what people may forget is that some top registrars create serious problems for your web address registration and ownership. People often overlook one of the most important aspects: keeping the registration under your control. Here are some tips:
1) Choose a British registrar with a good reputation and do not confuse that with popularity! One of the biggest registrars/web hosts is notorious for customer service. We are talking here about possible trademark infringements or registration problems. A good registrar will not demand a high ransom to release you of cheap domains registration disputes.
2) Some registrars/web hosts lock domains when customers are searching for it. This way they can force the customer to register the domains with them. This is called web address squatting and another big hosting company was caught doing this.
3) Don't forget your personal privacy online. Most registrars offer Whois Privacy Protection Services. This is a plus for any webmaster.
4) Choose a specialist. In other words choose a company in Britain that is specialized in cheap domain names and related products.
5) The single most important feature: Choose a company that gives you Full Control over your DNS servers and over your Whois database information. You should be able to modify your own Whois database and DNS information online.
Company: Linux Hosts Ltd.
Service: Web Addresses
Review URL: http://weloveourhost.com/domains.html
Description: The provider writes among others: "Pick a name that is well descriptive of your site's content. A well formulated combination of words that is easy to memorize and to spell, will maximize the value of your Internet presence and help you achieve and maintain a higher ranking in Google and other search engines.
Review Count: 7
Price From: 4.56
Seller: Linux Hosts Ltd.